Pages

Friday, May 13

Black Bean Chili; Easy, Organic and Inexpensive

Didn't know those three words could describe one meal?  Using the base of the black bean chili recipe from All Recipies, I have made my own take on black bean chili.  I wish I had a picture, but honestly, a picture does not do it justice.  It isn't the prettiest looking meal, but it is very good, inexpensive and easy-peasy.

Ingredients list with my adjustments:
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 pound ground turkey (I don't always use a full pound)
  • 3 (15 ounce) cans black beans, undrained (I buy beans in a bag, $1.99 for a 1lb of organic black beans at Whole Foods as apposed to 3 cans @1.29)
  • 2 (14.5 ounce) can crushed tomatoes (2 cans instead of 1)
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 1 tablespoon dried basil leaves
  • 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar (can use balsamic vinegar)
How I do it:

The night before, when I'm getting ready to go to bed I boil 6 cups of water, after the water boils I turn off the heat.  I then put 2 cups of black beans from the bag into the water and cover.  I let this sit overnight, in the morning I drain it all, rinse it and add it to the crock pot.  I cup up the ground turkey and pour that in.  Then add the rest of the ingredients.  Set the crock pot to cook at medium for 8 hours and *tada* delicious black bean chili when I get home.  I top mine with plain Greek yogurt, avocado, shredded cheese and serve over some brown rice.  This makes a huge batch because it is so filling, but it is easily freezed. 

Do you have a favorite crock pot recipe you'd like to share?  If you try this let me know what adjustments you make and what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment