Ingredients list with my adjustments:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground turkey (I don't always use a full pound)
- 3 (15 ounce) cans black beans, undrained (I buy beans in a bag, $1.99 for a 1lb of organic black beans at Whole Foods as apposed to 3 cans @1.29)
- 2 (14.5 ounce) can crushed tomatoes (2 cans instead of 1)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar (can use balsamic vinegar)
The night before, when I'm getting ready to go to bed I boil 6 cups of water, after the water boils I turn off the heat. I then put 2 cups of black beans from the bag into the water and cover. I let this sit overnight, in the morning I drain it all, rinse it and add it to the crock pot. I cup up the ground turkey and pour that in. Then add the rest of the ingredients. Set the crock pot to cook at medium for 8 hours and *tada* delicious black bean chili when I get home. I top mine with plain Greek yogurt, avocado, shredded cheese and serve over some brown rice. This makes a huge batch because it is so filling, but it is easily freezed.
Do you have a favorite crock pot recipe you'd like to share? If you try this let me know what adjustments you make and what you think!